Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Why I don’t like IOS7

So I promised this blog a while ago, the nice thing about taking this long is that I have had more opportunity to live with it, and my final verdict: I really like it and dislike it.

Sounds weird right, having to live with both android and IOS devices as part of my job I can tell you that the usability on IOS is still better than android and it still looks much better, a quick look at just the typography can tell you that much. I like how they made the status bar at the top fit to the app that you are using and how they implemented the notification view to show important information with cluttering it with chrome like android widgets.

As for the revamp on the look and feel, they have made away with all the little details that cluttered a relatively small screen and was at odds with Apple’s general design principles of simplicity but this is where the problem starts as well. 

The revamp is not polished and not in a tiny unnoticeable way, two of the standards offerings from Apple(ibooks and the university apps only recently got there updates to comply with the look and feel of IOS7).  There are other more subtle issues for me, how the folder view zooms in but I have to tap instead of pinch to dismiss it compared to the IOS6 that was very intuitive on how to open and dismiss folders.  Another pain issue for me is the on or off switch, the design of it indicates that I have to swipe to change the state, but no, I have to tap it.

Yes all of this seems nit picky but that was what made Apple products great, that I couldn’t really nit pick it, that what I got was polished up and until the last small detail. I paid a lot of money for the feeling that I bought a product that could not get any better than it was. IOS7 feels more like a product aimed at countering android than a product aimed at being the best that it can be and that is why I hate it.

It’s missing the feeling that some perfectionist at the top was keeping it from being released until the very last detail was perfect, in short I’m missing Steve Jobs right now.

To put this in context, many times in my job I’m reluctantly asked to produce a piece of code or feature as cheap as possible(within the bounds of good quality of course) but still knowing that it can be better, and Steve Jobs showed the world that sometimes the last inch mattered more than the first mile, the hope that I am asked to build something that is the very best that it can be.

IOS7 to me is not just an operating system, it’s a mark to an end of an era and the death of a legend.


R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment