Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My views on Global Warming


Ok so I’ve said some things to some people about Global warming that confused or angered them or just made them shake their heads.  This blog post is about clearing up the air on how I feel about it because sometimes I feel misunderstood about my view point.

I don’t doubt that global warming exists, I’m not completely soled on how much man is contributing to the issue but I do believe we have some responsibility.  My issue with global warming stems more from a political reason then a scientific reason.  

One thing I don’t doubt either is that the issue was popularised in the media and cause an imbalanced expenditure in the scientific field, one of our best bets on creating long lasting cheap energy is fusion reactions however we are spending so much money on trying to figure out what type of insect is going to be affected by a 0.1 degree change in temperature instead of perfecting this technology.

I hear this thing about solar power all over the place.  Solar panels have a large environmental footprint to create and don’t produce that much energy compared to fossil fuel.  Mostly they just make us feel good about ourselves.  A well known scientist said it best, fossil fuel is like concentrated sunlight.

Some where out there are people being affect very poorly because of disease and starvation, where is the outcry in there name.  Most of the eco-people cart around in private jets all over the world telling the poorest people they are not allowed to exploit there natural resources which means the Chinese end up doing it in exchange for some new roads.  If you are going to tell me I can’t build a nuclear power plant at least give me some electricity.

In terms of pollution I doubt air pollution is the worst type in the world, the air is the most malleable component of nature we can pollute and also the only one with an inbuilt filter because air particles gets exchanged with space all the time.  I fear far more that humanity will one day suddenly wake up to the fact that we have no more viable top soil or that the ocean is dying out because of yet unknown pollutant and there is nothing we can do about it.  Air pollution that causes global warming is going to be mostly likely in my opinion the easiest thing to solve.

I still can’t get away from the feeling that companies have started overcharging me for their eco-ness status without presenting any real benefit to the environment.  Some companies have whole heartily jumped on the global warming bandwagon telling their customers how they are contributing to the solution and I very much doubt their claims.
Which brings me to the last point, the eco hippies always tell us how we need to reconstruct the world market if we are going to face these issues, the value of money in society and global economies is another topic, but needless to say the market place as it is, is not going anywhere.  If you really feel that strongly about the issue find a solution the rest of the world can live with.

I try and spend a fair amount of my spare time in nature, I love being around animals and feel a need to protect their habitat and existence I think more than most people.  I do feel that we need to more responsible about how we use the earths resources, but I also believe doing so will need a change in what we do, not how we do it.  Instead of buying eco brands, buy less.  If you don’t want people using a resource provide another one, be a good neighbor.

Nothing here is researched and don’t take anything as facts, these are just my feelings about the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment